Restylane is a gel that is injected into the skin in order to add volume to lips and lift up wrinkles or folds. Restylane consists of hyaluronic acid, which is a natural substance already present in your body. Once in the skin, Restylane works by creating volume. Some dermal fillers are derived from animal substances. The hyaluronic acid in Restylane is non-animal. During treatment, the crystal-clear Restylane gel is injected into the skin in tiny amounts with a very fine needle. The gel produces volume under the wrinkle, which is lifted up and smoothed out. When enhancing lips or facial contours, Restylane adds volume and shape to the treated area. Results last up to one year*.
Restylane and Perlane are used for treating facial contour defects. The most common treatments involve:
- Naso-labial folds (“smile lines”)
- Peri-oral lines (above the lip)
- The vermilion ridge (top of the lip)
- Glabellar frown lines (between the eyebrows)
- Oral commissures (“marionette lines”)
- Depressed scars (e.g. acne)